Most patients seem to dread the words ‘Root Canal Treatment’ – usually because they associate it with pain, dental decay or a dental abscess. Such a shame as the trusty Root Canal treatment is very often our saving grace in these exact situations.
At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough, we encourage patients take a positive approach to root canal treatment as it actually helps to relieve pain and discomfort often quite quickly!
The negativity around root canal treatment often stems from the cause of the problem itself, i.e. the abscess or broken tooth. A root canal treatment (also known as ‘endodontic’ treatment) is used to help treat these problems long-term.
How does a root canal treatment work?
When a tooth has been knocked, is heavily decayed or becomes infected, this may cause the ‘nerve’ of the tooth to die. The ‘nerve’ of the tooth is a little chamber or pulp that lives on the very inside of the tooth containing fibres and blood vessels. Sometimes, if a tooth is heavily filled or damaged, the pulp becomes exposed to bacteria. At this point patients will begin to feel slight toothache, pain on eating/chewing or the tooth may become very temperature sensitive. If this occurs, it is vital to begin root canal treatment as soon as possible to stop a painful abscess from forming.
At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough, we guarantee that patients suffering from severe pain or discomfort are seen and treated as quickly as possible.
We will carry out a thorough examination, vitality testing and probably take x-rays to confirm the diagnosis. If root canal is required, we will make the tooth comfortable with local anesthetic and then begin the process of gently removing the nerve, disinfecting the root chamber and sealing the root to ensure bacteria cannot enter in the future. Depending on the case, we may give you some analgesics and/or antibiotics to reduce inflammation and reduce post op discomfort.
Do I need a Root Canal treatment?
- Is your tooth sensitive to hot or cold temperatures?
- Has your tooth become very discoloured over time (almost black in appearance?)
- Can you remember knocking your tooth?
- Is your tooth tender to bite on?
- Are you suffering from tooth-ache that is getting worse?
- Does your tooth-ache wake you up at night?
- Have you been taking painkillers for tooth-ache for some time?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to 2 or more of these questions, you may need a Root Canal Treatment.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
- Will ease the pain & discomfort (often instantly) caused by tooth abscess or decay.
- Can help save the tooth from extraction, tooth loss and resulting unsightly gaps
- Treatment can be carried out in as little as 30 minutes
- Can help to preserve the integrity of your entire dentition.
- If you are a nervous patient, we can treat you under Dental Sedation to ensure your whole experience is relaxed and stress-free.
In summary, a root canal treatment can actually be a very positive experience as it helps to relieve pain and save teeth!
Root canal treatment is much more straight forward than you think and you will be made very comfortable throughout the entire procedure. Please don’t put up with pain or discomfort any longer, simply give us a call and we can talk you through the whole process.
At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough we offer all patients access to our 0% finance facility, meaning patients have choice and flexibility when it comes to financing their dental needs. Bringing you closer to a beautiful smile that is more affordable than you may think