At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough we often see patients with a ‘gummy smile’. This is when too much of the gingival (gum) tissue shows when you smile. Sometimes, although the teeth may be the correct length, excessive gum tissue growing down the tooth can make teeth appear too short, causing a low and uneven gum-line which results in a 'gummy' smile.
Gummy smiles are not harmful and more common than you think. However, patients often feel their gummy smiles are unattractive which can cause embarrassment and knock their self-esteem.
Reasons why patients may have a gummy smile;
- Short upper lip – If you were born with a shorter upper lip it can expose more of the gum
- Child development – During early development there can be signs that a gummy smile may be developing, in this instance, braces could be used to potentially stop this from happening
- Abnormal erupting teeth – Teeth can sometimes erupt abnormally which can cause more of a gummy smile
Treating a gummy smile
At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough, we have several solutions available to successfully treat a gummy smile:
- Gum Contouring – Gum contouring techniques can be used to remove excess gum to improve the appearance of uneven gum lines and gummy smiles. Type of treatment depends on how much excess gum is showing.
- Orthodontics (braces) – This treatment is particularly effective for younger patients in order to help prevent gummy smiles appearing in older years.
- Anti-ageing treatment – We can use muscle relaxing therapy to the muscles in the lip area, causing it to drop and hide the excess gum tissue completely.
These treatments are known as crown lengthening procedures and can reduce the amount of gum tissue to make your teeth more visible when you smile.
At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough we are proud to offer FREE Consultations for patients considering treatment for Gummy Smiles. Simply call our friendly team to find out how our flexible approach to your dental needs could result in the smile of your dreams.
At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough we offer all patients access to our 0% finance facility, meaning patients have choice and flexibility when it comes to financing their dental needs. Bringing you closer to a beautiful smile that is more affordable than you may think.