Toothbrushes have been used by humans from as far back as 3500BC. They are a part of our everyday routine and provide a very important function- cleaning plaque and bacteria to keep our mouth healthy and clean. However, with recent technology creating more efficient way to clean our teeth, it seems that the original manual toothbrush will soon be a thing of the past. But what are the benefits of using an electric toothbrush, and is it worth paying more for a deeper clean?
To be clear, it depends on how you brush your teeth and how long you clean them for, that determines how clean your mouth will be. Using a manual toothbrush is more beneficial, but using a manual toothbrush is also an adequate way to clean your teeth if done correctly.
Manual toothbrushes are somewhat limited in their technology when compared to electric toothbrushes. Whereas you can only really brush your teeth with a manual toothbrush, the electric option accommodates for so much more.
Electric toothbrushes will come with a whole host of features to provide a better and more effective brush, such as:
- Timers and encourage a 2 minutes brush – Many electric toothbrushes will now come with pacers and timers to help you keep track of how long you’ve been brushing for to encourage a healthier clean.
- Multiple cleaning modes- Different cleaning modes will provide a more tailored experience to brushing your teeth, accommodating for younger users and users with sensitive teeth.
- Travel cases and apps- Often accompanying the product when you buy it, travel cases make life more convenient as well as apps to track your brushing times.
- Reminders of when to replace bristle head- These notifications will help you receive the best clean possible, as you know when to replace your bristle head when the time comes.
- Long battery life- Makes for a better user experience, and often comes with a charging port to store it in, so battery life isn’t too much of a concern.
- Can remove up to 100% more plaque than a manual toothbrush- This is a key feature of why you should opt in for an electric toothbrush over a manual, as it provides a more intense and thorough clean, leading to much healthier mouth and gums.
Although simply brushing regularly and thoroughly is the best thing you can do for your mouth, having an electric toothbrush will only add to this. Whether you decide to upgrade, or continue with your manual toothbrush, brushing twice a day for two minutes is the best thing you can do for your mouth.
Are you looking for advice on a toothbrush? Do you need dental assistance? Why not contact Loughborough dentists today to see how we can help you!