Many people don’t know that teeth grinding can have an extremely negative impact on not only their teeth, but jaw, neck and even back muscles, causing extreme pain and discomfort.
Teeth Grinding, also known as bruxism, causes excessive wear and tear on the teeth in a very short period of time. In extreme conditions, the excess wear may lead to hyper-sensitive teeth, root fillings or restorative dentistry as the wear begins to destroy tooth enamel.
Grinding habits can also weaken teeth and cause teeth to chip which also has a massive impact on the cosmetic appearance of a patients smile. If left untreated, teeth grinding can ultimately lead to breakdown of the entire dentition, jaw pain, headaches, loss of sleep, and other TMJ disorders
What is Teeth Grinding?
If you grind or clench your teeth either at night or during the day then you would be considered a bruxist. You may not do this intentionally but you can still end up damaging your teeth, gums and surrounding jaw area.
Teeth Grinding may be caused by:
- Stress or anxiety - If a person is anxious or going through a stressful period in their life, they can subconsciously grind while they are sleeping.
- Medicines – mood changing drugs (like anti-depressants) can have bruxism as an associated side effect
- Misalignment of the teeth or jaw - An abnormal bite due to misaligned or crooked teeth can cause tooth grinding.
- Lifestyle – Excessive alcohol consumption, recreational drugs, cigarettes, If you partake in 1 or more of these activities, you are more likely to grind your teeth
Teeth grinding and jaw clenching can cause pain and discomfort in many patients. The good news is that we can help to alleviate symptoms really quite quickly!
How can I prevent teeth grinding?
At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough, we work with our laboratory to create bespoke oral devices that are worn while you sleep to help stop your teeth grinding and to protect your teeth and restorations from further damage.
Mouth Splint – Splints are made out of a hard, plastic material and will fit over the lower/upper teeth.
Mouth Guard – Made from a flexible rubber (like a gum shield) and will cover your teeth while you sleep.
Answer these few questions to find out if you are a Bruxist:
- Do you suffer from jaw ache which is often worse first thing in the morning?
- Does your partner notice that you grind your teeth during the night?
- Do you suffer from headaches and are yet to discover the underlying cause?
- Do you have excessive wear on your teeth?
- Do you break or chip your teeth for no apparent reason?
If you answered ‘yes’ to two or more of these questions, you may be a Bruxist.
At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough we are proud to offer FREE Consultations for patients who are worried about tooth grinding. Simply call our friendly team to find out how our flexible approach to your dental needs could result in the smile of your dreams.
At Ascent Dental Care Loughborough we offer all patients access to our 0% finance facility, meaning patients have choice and flexibility when it comes to financing their dental needs. Bringing you closer to a beautiful smile that is more affordable than you may think